Salgocar FC, East Bengal play out goalless draw
Mapusa (Goa): The I-League match between Salgocar Football Club and East Bengal provided plenty of entertainment but ended in a goalless draw here on wednesday.
Both sides played competitive football and created goal-scoring chances, but failed to find each other`s net in their 13th round clash at the Duler Stadium here.
Crucially, Salgaocar missed a penalty after Matthew Foschini`s 25th minute kick was brilliantly saved by East Bengal goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu.
Sandhu, who replaced Abhijit Mondal, was in superb form throughout the game and pulled off another stunning save to deny Scottish striker Darryl Duffy in the second session.
East Bengal, choosing to start with Edeh Chidi and James Moga upfront, lacked the cutting edge. When Moga or Chidi thought they had finally broken the duck, Salgaocar goalkeeper Karanjit Singh stood between them and the goal.
Karanjit was at his best in the last minute of the first session when Naoba Singh`s cross from the right was flicked towards goal by Moga, only for Karanjit to produce a finger-tip save.
East Bengal`s chances were more pronounced, particularly in the opening minutes after the change of ends. Their coach Armando Colaco introduced fresh legs with Seiminlen Doungel replacing S Malsawathluanga on the right of midfield. The youngster had pace but the team did not have incisiveness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch