Sami Khedira injury provides midfield headache for Real Madrid
Madrid: Real Madrid`s hopes for the season have suffered a setback with the confirmation that German midfielder Sami Khedira will be out of action for the rest of the season.
Khedira underwent an operation Saturday after breaking the cruciate ligaments in his right knee during the friendly game he played for Germany against Italy Friday night.
Khedira underwent the operation in Ausburg in the presence of representatives of the Real Madrid medical section.
He will be out of action for around six months, which means he has very little chance of playing again this season and will face an uphill battle to be able to represent his country in the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.
"We hope he will be able to start the World Cup," commented German team doctor, Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfarth, while the Germany national team coach, Joaquin Low said the injury was "a big blow for Sami and for all of us".
"He is a great fighter on and off the pitch and he always thinks in a positive manner. That will help him to recover, so I am optimistic he will be in shape for the World Cup," added the coach.
While Low has time to consider his options without Khedira, the injury presents a more pressing problem for Real Madrid coach, Carlo Ancelotti, who has only just been able to welcome Xabi Alonso back after a long term pelvic injury.
Khedria has been a virtual fixture for Madrid this season, providing balance and defensive cover for a side which at times has looked vulnerable in defense.
His injury leaves Alonso and the inexperienced Asier Illaramendi, as well as Brazilian Casimiro, who has hardly played this season, as Madrid`s main defensive midfielders, with the signs so far that Alonso is the only player who can offer a guarantee in the role.
The club will have to try and control the minutes the 33-year-old plays in order to ensure he is the best possible condition for the important matches which will surely come.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert