Santos begin life post-Neymar with defeat
Rio de Janeiro: Santos suffered a 2-1 loss to Botafogo in their first match since the departure of Neymar to Barcelona.
Rafael Marques and Fellype Gabriel struck in the space of seven minutes as Botafogo dominated the first half at the Raulino de Oliveira stadium here Wednesday.
Argentine midfielder Walter Montillo reduced the deficit with a 71st-minute strike after a Santos counterattack.
The 29-year-old then missed the chance to equalize when, after a one-two with Willian Jose, he shot wide with only keeper Renan to beat.
Botafogo were without former AC Milan and Dutch star Clarence Seedorf who was a late withdrawal with a virus.
In other matches Wednesday, Sao Paulo crushed Vasco da Gama 5-1, Atletico Paranaense drew 2-2 with Cruzeiro, Flamengo lost 2-0 at home to Ponte Preta, Bahia and Coritiba drew 0-0, Victoria won 3-0 away to Nautico while Goias drew 1-1 with Corinthians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard
- Mitsubishi Motors overstated fuel economy on eight more models - Nikkei