Santos begin life post-Neymar with defeat
Rio de Janeiro: Santos suffered a 2-1 loss to Botafogo in their first match since the departure of Neymar to Barcelona.
Rafael Marques and Fellype Gabriel struck in the space of seven minutes as Botafogo dominated the first half at the Raulino de Oliveira stadium here Wednesday.
Argentine midfielder Walter Montillo reduced the deficit with a 71st-minute strike after a Santos counterattack.
The 29-year-old then missed the chance to equalize when, after a one-two with Willian Jose, he shot wide with only keeper Renan to beat.
Botafogo were without former AC Milan and Dutch star Clarence Seedorf who was a late withdrawal with a virus.
In other matches Wednesday, Sao Paulo crushed Vasco da Gama 5-1, Atletico Paranaense drew 2-2 with Cruzeiro, Flamengo lost 2-0 at home to Ponte Preta, Bahia and Coritiba drew 0-0, Victoria won 3-0 away to Nautico while Goias drew 1-1 with Corinthians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city