Santos begin life post-Neymar with defeat
Rio de Janeiro: Santos suffered a 2-1 loss to Botafogo in their first match since the departure of Neymar to Barcelona.
Rafael Marques and Fellype Gabriel struck in the space of seven minutes as Botafogo dominated the first half at the Raulino de Oliveira stadium here Wednesday.
Argentine midfielder Walter Montillo reduced the deficit with a 71st-minute strike after a Santos counterattack.
The 29-year-old then missed the chance to equalize when, after a one-two with Willian Jose, he shot wide with only keeper Renan to beat.
Botafogo were without former AC Milan and Dutch star Clarence Seedorf who was a late withdrawal with a virus.
In other matches Wednesday, Sao Paulo crushed Vasco da Gama 5-1, Atletico Paranaense drew 2-2 with Cruzeiro, Flamengo lost 2-0 at home to Ponte Preta, Bahia and Coritiba drew 0-0, Victoria won 3-0 away to Nautico while Goias drew 1-1 with Corinthians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Two more days to put out forest fire in Uttarakhand, says Prakash Javadekar
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments