Santos begin life post-Neymar with defeat
Rio de Janeiro: Santos suffered a 2-1 loss to Botafogo in their first match since the departure of Neymar to Barcelona.
Rafael Marques and Fellype Gabriel struck in the space of seven minutes as Botafogo dominated the first half at the Raulino de Oliveira stadium here Wednesday.
Argentine midfielder Walter Montillo reduced the deficit with a 71st-minute strike after a Santos counterattack.
The 29-year-old then missed the chance to equalize when, after a one-two with Willian Jose, he shot wide with only keeper Renan to beat.
Botafogo were without former AC Milan and Dutch star Clarence Seedorf who was a late withdrawal with a virus.
In other matches Wednesday, Sao Paulo crushed Vasco da Gama 5-1, Atletico Paranaense drew 2-2 with Cruzeiro, Flamengo lost 2-0 at home to Ponte Preta, Bahia and Coritiba drew 0-0, Victoria won 3-0 away to Nautico while Goias drew 1-1 with Corinthians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras