Santos sack coach Ramalho
Rio de Janeiro: Santos have sacked coach Muricy Ramalho just days after selling Brazil star Neymar to Barcelona.
The role will be temporarily filled by the Brazilian club`s Under-20 coach Claudenei Oliveira until a permanent replacement is found, Santos said Friday.
“The management committee decided Muricy Ramalho is no longer coach of Santos FC`s professional team. The trainer was told of the decision Thursday,” the club said in a statement.
The announcement follows the club`s 1-2 defeat to Botafogo in Brazil`s Serie A championship Wednesday.
Ramalho, who took charge of the club in April 2011, led Santos to their third Copa Libertadores trophy, two Paulista championships and the South American Supercup. His departure, and that of 21-year-old Neymar to Camp Nou, marks the end of arguably Santos`s most successful era since Pele made the club famous in the late 1950s and 60s.
"Santos are beginning a reformulation process after one of the best periods in the 101-year history of the club," the statement said.
Former Corinthians` and Brazil boss Mano Menezes and Atletico Bilbao`s Argentine manager Marcelo Bielsa have reportedly been short-listed as candidates for the vacant position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh