Sao Paulo accident venue ready mid-April: FIFA
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, December 06, 2013, 00:19
  
Sao Paulo accident venue ready mid-April: FIFA
Costa Do Sauipe (Brazil): The Sao Paulo stadium scheduled to host the opening match of the World Cup but scene of a fatal accident last week will be ready in April, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Thursday.

"We have received information it should be ready in mid-April," Blatter told a press conference at tomorrow`s draw venue in Costa do Sauipe, northeastern Brazil.

"For the time being there is no Plan B," he added.


The Arena Corinthians stadium was the scene last week of an accident which killed two construction workers after a crane bearing a final piece of roofing fell onto the stands, bringing down a section.

The fatal accident was the third to occur at World Cup venues in Brazil, which is racing against the clock to get 12 venues ready for an event that kicks off on June 12.

A police investigation into the Sao Paulo incident continues but Blatter said he was confident the venue -- one of three running behind schedule -- will be ready on time.

"We believe it is a question of trust. It will be done," Blatter said, adding he prayed that "no more accident will arise in connection with the World Cup."

He added the cause of the accident remained under investigation amid media reports that workers feared the crane was on ground rendered unstable by recent heavy rain.
AFP

First Published: Friday, December 06, 2013, 00:19


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular in News