Sao Paulo reach Copa Libertadores knockouts
Sao Paulo: Rogerio Ceni and Ademilson struck second-half goals as three-time champions Sao Paulo defeated Atletico Mineiro 2-0 to advance to the Copa Libertadores knockout phase.
The Brazilian outfit jumped to second in Group 3 ahead of Bolivia`s The Strongest, which slipped to third after a 1-2 away defeat to Argentina`s Arsenal de Sarandi.
The loss at Morumbi Stadium here on Wednesday was Atletico Mineiro`s first in the competition and the Brazilian club still progresses to the Round of 16 with the tournament`s best record.
After a goalless first half, Ceni broke the deadlock with a 56th-minute spot-kick after Leonardo Silva pulled down Aloisio in the area. It was the 40-year-old goalkeeper`s 112th goal for the club, considered a world record for a non-outfield player.
Second-half substitute Ademilson made it 2-0 shortly with a first-time finish from Osvaldo`s cross after a precisely weighted pass by Paulo Henrique Ganso. Afterwards a jubilant Ceni admitted he had feared the match would be his last in the Copa Libertadores, a tournament he has won twice in a decorated 21-year career.
"It went through my head that this might be it and I really didn`t want it to end that way. I still think I have something to give and so does this team. We made a slow start to the tournament but now we have arrived," said Ceni, who won 17 international caps for Brazil between 1997 and 2006.
In other games on Wednesday, six-time winners Boca Juniors lost 2-3 to Toluca but qualified second in their group behind Nacional, who stumbled 0-1 away to Barcelona de Guayaquil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in