Sao Paulo`s World Cup stadium still concerns FIFA
Brasília: FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke on Thursday said work on the Sao Paulo stadium which will host the opening match of the World Cup remains a concern.
A fatal accident at the stadium in November and worries over who is responsible for temporary facilities has held up progress at the Sao Paulo ground where Brazil take on Croatia on June 12 in the World Cup opener.
"We don`t yet have a solution," Valcke said following a local organizing committee meeting in Rio, though he added he was "quite confident" one would emerge by Friday.
"We will have 12 host cities; we will have 12 stadiums," he stressed. "But there is work to do. Time is flying."
Earlier this week, Brazil`s Development Bank released the first two-thirds of a $160 million loan to complete the Sao Paulo stadium.
Sao Paulo was one of six venues to miss an initial FIFA deadline of December 31 and the Corinthians Arena is only set to be handed over to organizers in mid-May.
Despite the tight timetable, Valcke said on the basis of his visits to Brazil and talks with constructor Odebrecht he was confident Sao Paulo would make it.
"I have full trust in Odebrecht to deliver on time for the opening game," Valcke told reporters at the Maracana Stadium, which will host the July 13 final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened