Sao Paulo`s World Cup stadium still concerns FIFA
Brasília: FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke on Thursday said work on the Sao Paulo stadium which will host the opening match of the World Cup remains a concern.
A fatal accident at the stadium in November and worries over who is responsible for temporary facilities has held up progress at the Sao Paulo ground where Brazil take on Croatia on June 12 in the World Cup opener.
"We don`t yet have a solution," Valcke said following a local organizing committee meeting in Rio, though he added he was "quite confident" one would emerge by Friday.
"We will have 12 host cities; we will have 12 stadiums," he stressed. "But there is work to do. Time is flying."
Earlier this week, Brazil`s Development Bank released the first two-thirds of a $160 million loan to complete the Sao Paulo stadium.
Sao Paulo was one of six venues to miss an initial FIFA deadline of December 31 and the Corinthians Arena is only set to be handed over to organizers in mid-May.
Despite the tight timetable, Valcke said on the basis of his visits to Brazil and talks with constructor Odebrecht he was confident Sao Paulo would make it.
"I have full trust in Odebrecht to deliver on time for the opening game," Valcke told reporters at the Maracana Stadium, which will host the July 13 final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues