Saudi club shock EPL champions Manchester City
London: Manchester City fell to a shock 1-0 defeat in their opening pre-season game against Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal in Innsbruck on Friday.
Nawaf Al Abed provided the only goal of the game in the second half, firing into the corner after being afforded too much space by the Premier League champions` defence.
City fielded a handful of first-team regulars, including Carlos Tevez, Yaya Toure and captain Vincent Kompany, but Al Hilal kept them largely quiet for the opening period, except for Aleksandar Kolarov’s early saved effort which was the only shot on target of the entire first half.
Both teams forged early chances, though in truth failed to truly threaten in a cagey opening period. Yaya Toure looked to have put young striker Luca Scapuzzi clear through on 25 minutes but offside was called, a decision that appeared wrong on replay.
Al Hilal, too, were the recipients of an unfortunate refereeing decision when the assistant did not realise that Youssef El-Arabi, flying in from the left-hand side onto a useful through-ball, was being played on by a City man. The Saudis came close again moments later when Kompany executed an excellent block, his second such key interception of the half.
Yaya Toure was beginning to come into his own and he nearly created an excellent opportunity with a surging run through the middle, though the move ended with Adam Johnson’s wayward pass. It proved the last real threat of a very relaxed first half.
There was no surprise as both sides made widespread changes at half-time. City`s alterations included the introduction of Mario Jelavic, the young striker who had joined up with the squad`s Austrian training camp two days previously for a trial. Old head Kolo Toure led the new-look line-up out for the second period.
The best chance of the match so far fell to Omar Elabdellaoui 10 minutes after the break, the young forward jumping for a left-sided Jeremy Helan cross and nodding into the ground, the ball bouncing up only just wide of the far post.
There was barely a hint of goalmouth action otherwise until the 68th minute. The Premier League champions got bunched up in defence as the Saudis came forward, leaving space left of centre for Al Abed to shoot. The No.24’s effort was reasonably powerful but young goalkeeper Eirik Johansen, who got a hand to it as it went in, could have done more to keep it out.
Johansen did better a few moments later, however, to stand firm and force a corner as Al Hilal took complete control of the game, City’s youthful XI struggling to shut them out.
They looked better on the attack, but Kolo Toure headed over from a corner from a good position before Harry Bunn and Stefan Savic crowded each other out of an opening in the box. There was no recovery forthcoming for Roberto Mancini`s men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door