Schalke, Dortmund advance in German Cup
Berlin: Borussia Dortmund continued their defence of the German football Cup when they crushed second division team Aalen 4-1 while Schalke cruised to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Sandhausen.
Dortmund did not show any weakness against Aalen as they controlled the proceedings for most part of the match Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
Aalen defended deep and only relied on counters whilst the visitors controlled the ball to create goal-scoring opportunities. As a consequence, Dortmund`s Mats Hummels opened the scoring with 22 minutes played, following a close range effort from sharp angle into the roof of the net.
Ten minutes later Marcel Schmelzer doubled the lead for the "BVB" before the break.
After the break Dortmund started where they left off as Mario Goetze trebled the lead with a lob to take the wind out of Aalen`s sails.
Nevertheless Julian Schieber was not done with the scoring as he extended Dortmund`s lead to four goals in the 79th minute.
In the dying minutes of the match Aalen`s Michael Klaub scored the consolation with a free-kick.
Schalke wrapped up their fifth consecutive win owing to their faultless performance against second division side Sandhausen.
Ibrahim Afellay scored in the 11th minute while Cirpian Marica added the second with a brilliant free-kick. Klaas Jan Huntelaar finished the rout by netting in the third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Separatists leaders Geelani, Mirwaiz detained ahead of proposed protest march
- Pakistan fans trolled Virat Kohli after Misbah-ul-Haq & Co dethroned India in ICC rankings
- 'A Flying Jatt' Box Office collections: Tiger Shroff-Jacqueline Fernandez starrer mints Rs 7.10 cr on opening day!
- It's terrible and awful - parents leave daughters to starve at Delhi home
- 'India can recast global narrative; needs 8-10% growth'