Schalke, Dortmund advance in German Cup
Berlin: Borussia Dortmund continued their defence of the German football Cup when they crushed second division team Aalen 4-1 while Schalke cruised to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Sandhausen.
Dortmund did not show any weakness against Aalen as they controlled the proceedings for most part of the match Tuesday, reports Xinhua.
Aalen defended deep and only relied on counters whilst the visitors controlled the ball to create goal-scoring opportunities. As a consequence, Dortmund`s Mats Hummels opened the scoring with 22 minutes played, following a close range effort from sharp angle into the roof of the net.
Ten minutes later Marcel Schmelzer doubled the lead for the "BVB" before the break.
After the break Dortmund started where they left off as Mario Goetze trebled the lead with a lob to take the wind out of Aalen`s sails.
Nevertheless Julian Schieber was not done with the scoring as he extended Dortmund`s lead to four goals in the 79th minute.
In the dying minutes of the match Aalen`s Michael Klaub scored the consolation with a free-kick.
Schalke wrapped up their fifth consecutive win owing to their faultless performance against second division side Sandhausen.
Ibrahim Afellay scored in the 11th minute while Cirpian Marica added the second with a brilliant free-kick. Klaas Jan Huntelaar finished the rout by netting in the third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country