Schone double gives Ajax winning start to record quest
Amsterdam: Larse Schone scored twice as champions Ajax Amsterdam made a winning start in their bid to win an unprecedented fifth successive Dutch league title by beating Vitesse Arnhem 4-1 on Sunday.
Last season’s runners-up Feyenoord needed a last minute goal to win 1-0 away at ADO Den Haag in a match which featured a Dutch league record 13 cautions.
Fellow potential title challengers PSV Eindhoven were 3-1 victors at newcomers Willem II Tilburg while Groningen came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Go Ahead Eagles.
Schone converted a free kick just after halftime and added his second right near the end of the game. Debutant Nick Viergever opened the scoring for Ajax before halftime and Mike van der Hoorn headed home the third of the day from Schone’s corner in a somewhat flattering result for the champions.
Substitute Mitchell te Vrede scored in the 90th minute to give Feyenoord’s new coach Fred Rutten a winning start after taking over from Ronald Koeman.
Den Haag were down to 10 men from before halftime when Mitchell Schet was sent off for a second bookable offence.
Memphis Depay, who only returned to training last week from a post-World Cup holiday, scored twice for PSV who went two-up after 10 minutes.
Jarchinio Antonia, playing against his former club, scored a dramatic winner for Groningen who were 2-0 down early in the second half but conjured up a dramatic recovery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in): BSEB 12th Inter Results 2016, Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts / Vocational Results 2016 to be announced on May 29
- Virtual reality headset market shipment value reaches over $3.4 million in Jan-Mar quarter
- No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search intensifies
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- UN climate change report excludes Great Barrier reefs from in-danger list