Schweinsteiger elected Player of the Year 2013
Berlin: Bayern Munich`s Bastian Schweinsteiger has been named as the Player of the Year 2013 in Germany, according to a poll by the sports magazine "Kicker".
German international midfielder Schweinsteiger scooped the award Player of the Year 2013 as 92 of 527 German sports reporters voted in favour of the midfielder at the 54th edition of the traditional poll here Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Three Bayern players have been voted into the top three, as Schweinsteiger is followed by his teammates French international Franck Ribery with 87 votes, and German international Thomas Mueller with 85 votes.
The top fifteen were dominated by the treble winners, which occupied nine positions followed by Dortmund with five players and Leverkusen with one.
Former Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes rounded off his retirement when he was elected as the best coach as 383 of 571 journalists voted for the 68 year old, ahead of Freiburgs coach Christian Streich with 77 votes and Dortmunds coach Juergen Klopp with 19 votes.
Wolfsburgs Martina Mueller has been named as Germanys women player of the year. In the past season Mueller completed the treble by winning the Bundesliga title, UEFA Champions League and German Cup in one season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites