Schweinsteiger seals 23rd Bundesliga title for Bayern Munich
Munich: Bayern Munich wrapped up the Bundesliga title with a 1-0 win over Eintracht Frankfurt at the Commerzbank Arena.
Unsurprisingly, with the title there for the winning, Bayern took the early initiative, with Mario Gomez, Arjen Robben and Alaba all finding space down the wings, but the first effort of note came from Frankfurt as Takashi Inui fired over from distance.
The visitors, however, were certainly the team on top. Some neat build-up play from Robben and Thomas Muller presented Xherdan Shaqiri with the chance to shoot, and the Swiss youngster`s long-range effort rattled the post.
The former Basel man had another strike saved, Robben narrowly missed Gomez`s left-wing cross then in the 26th minute they were presented with a golden opportunity to have a goal to show for their efforts.
Marco Russ` shove on Thomas Muller saw the referee point to the spot, but Alaba`s penalty was a poor one, striking the post en route to going wide.
The miss almost proved costly. Within seconds, a fantastic last-ditch challenge from Jerome Boateng prevented Inui from running clear.
Atfter that, the first half fizzled out disappointingly. Nikolov made a great save to keep out Schweinsteiger`s cross-shot and Robben had another poor effort, but Bayern largely failed to craft many more chances.
Muller had appeals for another a penalty turned down on the stroke of the break, ensuring parity at the halfway point.
Jupp Heynckes` side came out with renewed intensity after the restart, with Gomez forcing the ball to Robben under heavy pressure, only for the Dutchman to miss from a matter of yards.
But their wastefulness did not continue. Philipp Lahm found some space down the right and fed Schweinsteiger, who flicked it brilliantly into the net at the near post.
Despite only trailing by one goal, Frankfurt had no sort of impetus until late on. Indeed, Manuel Neuer was not forced into a save of note until the hour mark, when he was forced to get down to save Inui`s tame long-range strike.
However, Heynckes withdrew both Robben and Muller which saw Bayern`s intensity die down as the hosts enjoyed more possession, resulting in another Inui shot which Neuer blocked easily.
Indeed, when they had committed men forward on the attack, a clearance almost had Lahm in on goal, but Nikolov`s decision to rush off his line was vindicated when he beat the Bayern captain to the loose ball.
The Bavarians were almost forced to put the champagne on ice 10 minutes from time when Stefan Aigner`s ball found Srdjan Lakic unmarked, but Neuer was alert enough to make a brilliant save.
The former Schalke keeper made another great block second later after a goalmouth scramble following a corner, ensuring that Schweinsteiger`s strike was enough for the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly