Season over for Hamburg`s Guerrero after attacking fan
Berlin: Hamburg SV striker Paolo Guerrero will not play again this season after he was banned for five matches on Thursday for attacking a fan with a water bottle, the German soccer federation (DFB) said.
Guerrero, who only recently returned from a seven-month injury absence, was caught on camera throwing a plastic water bottle at an angry Hamburg fan while walking off the pitch after a disappointing 0-0 draw against Hanover 96 on Sunday.
"Paolo Guerrero is banned for five matches and fined 20,000 euros," the DFB said in a statement.
The Peruvian striker, who has since apologised for his behaviour, has already been fined an undisclosed amount by his club with German media putting that figure between 50,000 and 80,000 euros (USD 67,050 and USD 107,300).
After a disappointing run since the winter break Hamburg are sixth in the league, three points off a Europa League spot, with five games left to play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'