Season over for Hamburg`s Guerrero after attacking fan
Berlin: Hamburg SV striker Paolo Guerrero will not play again this season after he was banned for five matches on Thursday for attacking a fan with a water bottle, the German soccer federation (DFB) said.
Guerrero, who only recently returned from a seven-month injury absence, was caught on camera throwing a plastic water bottle at an angry Hamburg fan while walking off the pitch after a disappointing 0-0 draw against Hanover 96 on Sunday.
"Paolo Guerrero is banned for five matches and fined 20,000 euros," the DFB said in a statement.
The Peruvian striker, who has since apologised for his behaviour, has already been fined an undisclosed amount by his club with German media putting that figure between 50,000 and 80,000 euros (USD 67,050 and USD 107,300).
After a disappointing run since the winter break Hamburg are sixth in the league, three points off a Europa League spot, with five games left to play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional