Season over for Hamburg`s Guerrero after attacking fan
Berlin: Hamburg SV striker Paolo Guerrero will not play again this season after he was banned for five matches on Thursday for attacking a fan with a water bottle, the German soccer federation (DFB) said.
Guerrero, who only recently returned from a seven-month injury absence, was caught on camera throwing a plastic water bottle at an angry Hamburg fan while walking off the pitch after a disappointing 0-0 draw against Hanover 96 on Sunday.
"Paolo Guerrero is banned for five matches and fined 20,000 euros," the DFB said in a statement.
The Peruvian striker, who has since apologised for his behaviour, has already been fined an undisclosed amount by his club with German media putting that figure between 50,000 and 80,000 euros (USD 67,050 and USD 107,300).
After a disappointing run since the winter break Hamburg are sixth in the league, three points off a Europa League spot, with five games left to play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'