Season over for Hamburg`s Guerrero after attacking fan
Berlin: Hamburg SV striker Paolo Guerrero will not play again this season after he was banned for five matches on Thursday for attacking a fan with a water bottle, the German soccer federation (DFB) said.
Guerrero, who only recently returned from a seven-month injury absence, was caught on camera throwing a plastic water bottle at an angry Hamburg fan while walking off the pitch after a disappointing 0-0 draw against Hanover 96 on Sunday.
"Paolo Guerrero is banned for five matches and fined 20,000 euros," the DFB said in a statement.
The Peruvian striker, who has since apologised for his behaviour, has already been fined an undisclosed amount by his club with German media putting that figure between 50,000 and 80,000 euros (USD 67,050 and USD 107,300).
After a disappointing run since the winter break Hamburg are sixth in the league, three points off a Europa League spot, with five games left to play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement