Seedorf lifts Botafogo to top of Brasileirao
Sao Paulo: A stunning Clarence Seedorf strike helped Botafogo defeat Ponte Preta 2-0 and lifted the Rio de Janeiro club to the top of Brazil`s Serie A standings.
The former Netherlands international midfielder gave goalkeeper Roberto no chance Saturday when he turned and volleyed into the bottom corner after Felipe Gabriel`s acrobatic backheel was headed goalward by Rafael Marques.
Moments later, Seedorf was involved in the second goal when his 36th-minute corner kick was headed in by Antonio Carlos.
"Today we showed the Botafogo that people are accustomed to seeing," Seedorf said.
"The beginning was difficult but we managed to score from a move that we have been practising. The attitude we showed to not let them back into the match was great."
Meanwhile, Flamengo won their first match of the season with a 3-0 victory away to Criciuma while Corinthians could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Portuguesa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...