Seedorf lifts Botafogo to top of Brasileirao
Sao Paulo: A stunning Clarence Seedorf strike helped Botafogo defeat Ponte Preta 2-0 and lifted the Rio de Janeiro club to the top of Brazil`s Serie A standings.
The former Netherlands international midfielder gave goalkeeper Roberto no chance Saturday when he turned and volleyed into the bottom corner after Felipe Gabriel`s acrobatic backheel was headed goalward by Rafael Marques.
Moments later, Seedorf was involved in the second goal when his 36th-minute corner kick was headed in by Antonio Carlos.
"Today we showed the Botafogo that people are accustomed to seeing," Seedorf said.
"The beginning was difficult but we managed to score from a move that we have been practising. The attitude we showed to not let them back into the match was great."
Meanwhile, Flamengo won their first match of the season with a 3-0 victory away to Criciuma while Corinthians could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Portuguesa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why