Seedorf lifts Botafogo to top of Brasileirao
Sao Paulo: A stunning Clarence Seedorf strike helped Botafogo defeat Ponte Preta 2-0 and lifted the Rio de Janeiro club to the top of Brazil`s Serie A standings.
The former Netherlands international midfielder gave goalkeeper Roberto no chance Saturday when he turned and volleyed into the bottom corner after Felipe Gabriel`s acrobatic backheel was headed goalward by Rafael Marques.
Moments later, Seedorf was involved in the second goal when his 36th-minute corner kick was headed in by Antonio Carlos.
"Today we showed the Botafogo that people are accustomed to seeing," Seedorf said.
"The beginning was difficult but we managed to score from a move that we have been practising. The attitude we showed to not let them back into the match was great."
Meanwhile, Flamengo won their first match of the season with a 3-0 victory away to Criciuma while Corinthians could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Portuguesa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan