Seedorf likely to be banned for six matches
Rio de Janeiro: Botafogo midfielder Clarence Seedorf was likely to receive a six-match ban after a Brazilian sports tribunal launched an investigation into an incident that led to his stoppage-time dismissal.
Seedorf was shown consecutive yellow cards after arguing with referee Philip Georg Bennett over where to leave the pitch when substituted during Botafogo`s 2-1 victory over Madureira.
The Sports Justice Tribunal of Rio de Janeiro announced the investigation on Monday after reviewing Bennett`s report card.
"As the report says, Seedorf showed a lack of respect to the referee. He will be charged under article 243 for offending the referee`s honor," prosecutor Andre Luiz Valentim adjudged.
"The punishment could be up to six matches as well as a USD 50,000 fine."
Botafogo general executive Anibal Rouxinol said the former Dutch international strenuously denied the referee`s claims.
He said the club would base its defence on the fact that mid-fielder Cidinho, not Seedorf, was the player substituted by Botafogo coach Oswaldo de Oliveira, when the incident took place.
After the match Seedorf said said he didn’t understand anything about the referee’s decision.
The red card was just the second of the 36-year-old`s 21-year professional career. The first was while playing for AC Milan during an Italian Serie-A match against Messina in April 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof