Sepp Blatter discusses work for FIFA 2022 in Qatar
Doha: The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani discussed Wednesday with FIFA president Sepp Blatter the preparations for the 2022 football World Cup which the Gulf state hosts.
Discussions covered various topics "especially those related to the preparations for the 2022 global showpiece and the progress of work" on projects related to the global tournament, QNA state news agency said.
The FIFA website said discussions also included reforms to labour conditions in the wealthy state which has come under international pressure to clamp down on violations of the rights of migrant workers, who are mostly Asians.
"Qatar takes its responsibility as hosts seriously," said Blatter after the meeting, according to the FIFA website, adding that Qatar is committed to improve labour conditions.
"It was great to see his (emir`s)and Qatar`s commitment to use the 2022 FIFA World Cup to achieve positive social change and to promote the host country and region," Blatter said.
The International Trade Union Confederation warned in June that as many as 4,000 migrant workers could die in construction site accidents by the time the 2022 tournament kicks off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried