Sepp Blatter discusses work for FIFA 2022 in Qatar
Doha: The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani discussed Wednesday with FIFA president Sepp Blatter the preparations for the 2022 football World Cup which the Gulf state hosts.
Discussions covered various topics "especially those related to the preparations for the 2022 global showpiece and the progress of work" on projects related to the global tournament, QNA state news agency said.
The FIFA website said discussions also included reforms to labour conditions in the wealthy state which has come under international pressure to clamp down on violations of the rights of migrant workers, who are mostly Asians.
"Qatar takes its responsibility as hosts seriously," said Blatter after the meeting, according to the FIFA website, adding that Qatar is committed to improve labour conditions.
"It was great to see his (emir`s)and Qatar`s commitment to use the 2022 FIFA World Cup to achieve positive social change and to promote the host country and region," Blatter said.
The International Trade Union Confederation warned in June that as many as 4,000 migrant workers could die in construction site accidents by the time the 2022 tournament kicks off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says