Sepp Blatter slams European media over Qatar
Kuala Lumpur: FIFA boss Sepp Blatter condemned European media for "attacking" 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar Tuesday, days after slamming European countries and companies over the controversial tournament.
The veteran Swiss said media had been unfair to Qatar as he made an impassioned defence of the event to delegates at the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) awards in Kuala Lumpur.
"It is not fair when the international media and especially European media are taking up the focus of an Arab country here in Asia, and attacking, criticising this country," Blatter said.
"We are defending it. We have taken the decision to play a World Cup in the Arab world and we have taken the decision to play in Qatar and we will go and play this... in 2022 in Qatar," he added, to loud applause at the gala dinner.
The comments come just a few days after the FIFA president accused France and Germany of pushing Qatar`s bid to host the World Cup to suit their "economic interests".
He also blamed European construction companies after Amnesty International said migrant workers at World Cup venues were being treated like "animals".
AFC President Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa agreed that media criticism of Qatar had been "too much" and he backed the Gulf nation to hold one of the most successful World Cups.
"I think what`s been said is too much because the decision has (already) been taken," said the Bahraini royal.
"And of course Qatar is part of Asia, and we will support the World Cup in Asia and in Qatar in every way that we can."
Shaikh Salman added: "I`m sure that when the time comes we`ll see success and the work that Qataris have done for this event.
"I think what they`ve been doing so far, by the look of all the infrastructure and the facilities that are going to be built for this occasion, I`m sure we`ll have one of the most successful World Cups ever."
Tiny, resource-rich Qatar has proved a contentious choice since being awarded World Cup hosting rights in 2010 following a bidding process tainted with corruption allegations.
Following strong and lengthy protests, Blatter has agreed to move the World Cup to the end of 2022 to avoid Qatar`s scorching summer months.
Rights groups called for a boycott of the World Cup over Amnesty`s report, which said workers suffered exploitation including non-payment of wages and hazardous conditions.
Blatter has called conditions for migrant workers "unacceptable". However, Qatar said the allegations were "exaggerated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark