Serb Vermezovic to coach Orlando Pirates
Serb Vladimir Vermezovic was named coach of high-profile South African football club Orlando Pirates Friday two years after quitting arch rivals Kaizer Chiefs.
The outspoken 50-year-old native of Belgrade succeeds Mozambique-born Roger de Sa, who quit last month citing exhaustion after 18 months at the helm.
Under former South Africa goalkeeper De Sa, Pirates reached the 2013 CAF Champions League final, losing 3-1 over two legs to Egyptian giants Al-Ahly.
They were also beaten in two domestic cup finals this season, and a fixture backlog means they trail league leaders Chiefs by 17 points halfway through the season.
Vermezovic left Chiefs in 2012 after a three-year spell, winning 58 and drawing 28 of 109 matches and lifting the League Cup trophy twice.
His reign was marked by tense relations with sections of the media, who regularly accused the Serb of being arrogant.
He famously responded to an interview request by saying: "I do not discuss tactics with the media. I only discuss tactics with people who understand tactics."
Pirates chairman Irvin Khoza said Vermezovic would replace caretaker coach and former South Africa midfielder Eric Tinkler when he received a work permit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees