Serbia`s Markovic signs for Liverpool
London: English Premier League giants Liverpool have signed Serbia winger Lazar Markovic from Portuguese side Benfica, the club announced on Tuesday.
The undisclosed fee was reported by British media to be £20 million ($34 million) for a "long-term deal"
The 20-year-old is the fourth new arrival at Anfield this pre-season following Southampton and England duo Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana, as well as Emre Can, while controversial striker Luis Suarez has left to join Barcelona in a £75m move.
Markovic made his name at Partizan Belgrade and won successive Serbian titles with them before leaving last year to join Benfica, where he helped the Lisbon side complete a Portuguese treble during the 2013/14 season and reach the Europa League final, where they lost to Spain`s Sevilla.
"I am very happy that I have joined such a great club," Markovic told Liverpool`s website. "I hope that I will fulfil the expectations of the supporters, coaches, players and all connected to the club."
Liverpool will be looking to go one better than last season after finishing runners-up in the Premier League to champions Manchester City, and Markovic is confident of adding England to the list of countries where he has won silverware.
"The Premier League is the strongest league in the world, and so I am very happy to be here," he said.
"And I have already played in the Champions League with Benfica. It is superb that Liverpool are in it and I hope we will go far next season.
"I watched every game (of Liverpool`s last season, from Portugal) and they played absolutely superb.
"It is a shame they did not win the (Premier League) title -- but I hope we will win it this season.
"I went to Partizan and won the title. I went to Benfica and won the title. Now I have joined Liverpool and want to win the title, 100 percent."
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers added: "This is an exciting signing for us and one that improves our squad, in terms of attacking options, for the coming season.
"He (Markovic) was hugely impressive for Benfica last season and has proved he has the ability to produce the goods in European competition as well, which will be important for us.
"Lazar is flexible to play a number of positions, but I like the way he attacks games and is always positive and looking to make something happen. He will fit in with the way we play at Liverpool.
"Getting him at such a young age is also very pleasing for us, because we will be able to work with him to develop his talent within our group and improve him even further.
"He is the sort of character who is hungry to get better and progress; this is what we look for in players."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks