Serie A 2012: Inter Milan begin campaign with 3-0 win over Pescara
Rome: Inter opened their Serie A campaign with an impressive victory over a newly-promoted Pescara in Abruzzo on Sunday evening.
The hosts played their part in an absorbing opening to the game, but they were left reeling after the concession of two goals in three minutes, with Diego Milito creating the opener for Wesley Sneijder before netting himself moments later after being set up by new signing Antonio Cassano.
Milito then squandered an excellent opening to grab a second in the closing stages, but the veteran striker made amends by crossing for substitute Philippe Coutinho to seal victory for the visitors.
Pescara began the brighter of the two sides, with Jonathas flashing a shot wide with less than three minutes played, before a driving run from Gianluca Caprari forced Inter goalkeeper Luca Castellazzi to rush off his line and concede a corner.
However, Inter gradually began to settle and it was they who broke the deadlock, veteran right-back Javier Zanetti cutting infield before cleverly slipping the ball through for fellow Argentine Milito, whose low ball across the face of the six-yard box was converted by Sneijder at the far post.
Pescara were still coming to terms with that bolt from the blue when Inter struck again in just as gloriously simplistic fashion. This time Sneijder was the architect, prising open the Delfini defence with a perfectly-weighted pass which Cassano squared for Milito to tap home.
The hosts slowly regained their composure and the lively Caprari flashed a shot wide of Castellazzi’s right post after springing the offside trap.
But in truth, Inter never looked like throwing away their two-goal advantage and, with Sneijder looking like his old self, they always looked capable of pulling further clear.
Indeed, Fredy Guarin and Milito had both blown one-on-ones before Coutinho, who had come on in place of Cassano, made the game safe for Andrea Stramaccioni`s side when he turned in Milito`s cross from the right-hand side.
For Inter, who face Roma next in Serie A, it was confirmation that their pre-season optimism was thoroughly justified, while Pescara were left with the realisation that this could be a very long and testing campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit woe: Pound tumbles, most markets extend losses
- For single women in Maharashtra, owning land can be the difference between life and death
- Gold price climbs 1%, investors seek safe-haven after 'Brexit' vote
- Ranbir Kapoor wants 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' to be his next BIG release?
- LIVE Brexit fallout: Europe triggers sell-off, Sensex falls over 100 points