Serie A could be reduced to 18 or 16 teams: Albertini
Rome: Italian Football Association vice president Demetrio Albertini has confirmed that they could reduce Serie A to 18 or even 16 teams.
"Reducing the number of teams in Serie A could be the path to follow," Albertini said Wednesday.
"It would reduce costs and make the tournament more competitive as well as intriguing," he said.
Serie A had 16 teams from 1967 to 1998, then increased to 18 and was bumped up to 20 in 2004, reports Xinhua.
While four teams used to be relegated to Serie B each summer, that figure is now just three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan