Serie A could be reduced to 18 or 16 teams: Albertini
Rome: Italian Football Association vice president Demetrio Albertini has confirmed that they could reduce Serie A to 18 or even 16 teams.
"Reducing the number of teams in Serie A could be the path to follow," Albertini said Wednesday.
"It would reduce costs and make the tournament more competitive as well as intriguing," he said.
Serie A had 16 teams from 1967 to 1998, then increased to 18 and was bumped up to 20 in 2004, reports Xinhua.
While four teams used to be relegated to Serie B each summer, that figure is now just three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah