Serie A could be reduced to 18 or 16 teams: Albertini
Rome: Italian Football Association vice president Demetrio Albertini has confirmed that they could reduce Serie A to 18 or even 16 teams.
"Reducing the number of teams in Serie A could be the path to follow," Albertini said Wednesday.
"It would reduce costs and make the tournament more competitive as well as intriguing," he said.
Serie A had 16 teams from 1967 to 1998, then increased to 18 and was bumped up to 20 in 2004, reports Xinhua.
While four teams used to be relegated to Serie B each summer, that figure is now just three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured