Serie A could be reduced to 18 or 16 teams: Albertini
Rome: Italian Football Association vice president Demetrio Albertini has confirmed that they could reduce Serie A to 18 or even 16 teams.
"Reducing the number of teams in Serie A could be the path to follow," Albertini said Wednesday.
"It would reduce costs and make the tournament more competitive as well as intriguing," he said.
Serie A had 16 teams from 1967 to 1998, then increased to 18 and was bumped up to 20 in 2004, reports Xinhua.
While four teams used to be relegated to Serie B each summer, that figure is now just three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam