Services scrape past Kerala to enter Santosh Trophy final
Cuttack: Services scored once in each half as they beat Kerala 2-1 at the Barabati Stadium here Friday to advance to the final of the 66th Santosh Trophy. They await the winner between Manipur and Tamil Nadu to see who they will face Monday.
Subrata Sarkar scored in the fifth minute and Kerala`s Marsook committed an own goal in the 50th minute. For Kerala, Vineet Anthony converted from the spot in the 83rd minute.
Services surged into the lead early as the fifth minute. Kerala defender Marsook failed to clear a Sanju Subba cross in the box and Sarkar was agile enough to capitalise - chipping it over Kerala custodian Joby Joseph.
Kerala tried to regroup, but weren`t allowed the space inthe midfield to manoeuvre. Up front Kerala striker R Kannan with his deft touches and positional sense did catch the rivals unaware a couple of times, but he didn`t get much support.
In the 19th minute, Kannan`s ambitious over-head kick sailed over and then in the 34th minute his long-ranger was fisted over by Services goalkeeper Nanao Singh.
The goal apart, Services` best chance came in the 36th minute when Sarkar failed to beat Joseph from close after being set in the clear by a Horin through pass.
Changing over, Services doubled the lead almost immediately-- in the 50th minute. A harmless PS Sumes cross was back-headed into his own net by Marsook.
But Kerala didn`t give up. In the 55th minute, Kannan broke down the right and his low centre needed a tap from Usman; but the latter failed.
Kerala did attack relentlessly as Kannan wrecked havoc in the Services` box for most part of the second half. But even he failed to reduce the margin when he blasted out from inside the box in the 70th minute.
However, Nanao pulled down Usman in the box in the 83rd minute in the box - substitute Vineet Anthony converting from the spot.
Inspired, Kerala went all out. But Services survived some anxious moments and managed to hold on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly