Setback for Manchester United as Robin Van Persie out for a month
Manchester (United Kingdom): Manchester United received another setback on Friday when manager David Moyes revealed that striker Robin van Persie will be out for a month with a thigh injury.
The Dutchman recently returned from a four-game lay-off due to a groin problem, playing in last weekend`s 1-0 loss to Newcastle United and the midweek victory over Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League.
However, he injured himself as he took the corner that led to Phil Jones`s 67th-minute winner against Shakhtar and Moyes expects him to be out of action until next year.
"Robin Van Persie is out for a month," Moyes said. "He picked up a thigh strain in taking a corner kick which led to the goal."
Moyes added: "It is unfortunate because I think if you look at our record with Wayne Rooney and Robin in the team, it is actually very good and we have not had them for quite a period recently.
"Marouane Fellaini has a bit of a back injury. Michael Carrick is missing and Robin is going to miss four weeks with a thigh strain. That is a big blow to us."
United`s top scorer last season, Van Persie has scored seven goals in 11 league appearances this term.
News of his injury comes as United bid to bounce back from successive home defeats in the league, which have left them 13 points behind leaders Arsenal.
Moyes`s side visit Aston Villa on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Flat belly diet: Include these 3 foods to burn fat fast!
- Read: Why Virat Kohli, David Warner exchanged text messages regarding Orange Cap in IPL 9?
- Shocking! 7th Pay Commission recommends abolition of overtime for government employees
- VVIP chopper deal: BJP most welcome to make revelations, says Sonia Gandhi
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples