Sevilla beats 10-man Valencia 2-0 in Spain
Seville: Substitutes Alvaro Negredo and Alejandro Alfaro scored second-half goals to lead Sevilla to a 2-0 win over 10-man Valencia.
Valencia were a man down from the 25th minute when midfielder Mehmet Topal was shown a red card for a tackle on Martin Caceres yesterday.
Unai Emery`s team put up strong resistance until Negredo came on in the 53rd. One minute later, the striker jumped on the rebound from Careces` shot to score the opener.
Alfaro sealed the victory by heading in Mouhamadou Dabo`s cross from the right in the 77th.
"We had the ball, but we couldn`t find the space to attack with precision, but luckily the play of the goal arrived and I could score," Negredo told the Spanish television channel La Sexta. "Then Alfaro put the game away."
Sevilla is now level with fifth-place Valencia on 17 points, but is behind on goal difference.
Real Madrid stayed top with 26 points after continuing its 11-year unbeaten streak against cross-town rival Atletico Madrid with a 2-0 win on Sunday. Barcelona held on to second with 25 points after handing Getafe a 3-1 defeat, while Villarreal kept pace in third with 23 points with its 4-1 victory over Athletic Bilbao.
Sevilla has yet to lose at the Sanchez Pizjuan stadium this season, while Valencia is now winless in its last four outings.
Sevilla controlled possession early on and took advantage of Diego Perotti`s speed on the right flank. The Argentine winger soon found Luis Fabiano, who tested goalkeeper Cesar Sanchez with a point-blank strike from close range in the 11th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter