Sevilla president jailed for fraud
Madrid: Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has been sentenced to seven and a half years in prison for his role in a corruption case with the Marbella local council, the provincial court in Malaga said.
Del Nido, who had acted as a legal advisor to the council, was one of 16 people involved in the embezzlement of funds from the local government of the Costa del Sol holiday resort.
The case, which had nothing to do with Sevilla football club, can be appealed to the high court.
The 54-year-old had been appointed to his legal advisory post by the former Atletico Madrid president and former Mayor of Marbella Jesus Gil.
"Del Nido was a willing accomplice criminally responsible for offenses of continuous fraudulent activities in tenders, corrupt practices and embezzlement of public funds," the court ruling said.
He was also ordered to pay compensation to the Marbella council of around 2.7 million euros.
Del Nido has been the president of La Liga side Sevilla since 2002, and has overseen some of the most successful years at the club.
Sevilla won back-to-back UEFA Cups in 2006 and 2007 and the King`s Cup in 2007 and 2010 and they have been regular contenders for a place in Europe each season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY