Sevilla president resigns following jail sentence
Madrid: Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido resigned his post on Monday after being sentenced to seven years in prison for embezzlement and breaching the course of justice last week.
A lawyer by trade, Del Nido was accused of charging the local authority in Marbella millions of euros for work that was either unnecessary or never even carried out between 1999 and 2003.
The 56-year-old was first sentenced to seven-and-a-half years for the crimes by a provincial court in Malaga back in 2011.
And his appeal to the Supreme Court only succeeded in reducing that sentence by six months.
"The day I hoped would never come has arrived. I am leaving with profound sadness," he said at a press conference attended by the first-team squad.
"I have always considered myself as innocent of the crimes, but I made a mistake.
"I apologise to the shareholders for having been sentenced as president of Sevilla football club."
However, Del Nido signalled his intent to continue his legal fight.
"There are many mechanisms open to avoid going to prison and I will exhaust every legal path to do so.
"I hope to make my appeals as a free man, but if I have to enter prison I will do so with strength and dignity."
Del Nido has been in charge of the Andalusian club since 2002 and oversaw one of the most successful spells in its history as it won back-to-back UEFA Cups in 2006 and 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says