Sevilla sack coach Alvarez and appoint Manzano
Madrid: Sevilla have sacked coach Antonio Alvarez and appointed Gregorio Manzano in his place, the Spanish club said on their website.
Alvarez had been under pressure since failing to qualify the side for the group stages of the Champions League last month and Sunday’s 2-0 La Liga defeat at promoted Hercules proved the final straw.
Manzano, who led cash-strapped Real Mallorca to fifth in the championship last season before quitting, will take charge of his first training session on Monday evening.
He faces a tough first week with a trip to play Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League on Thursday, and a La Liga debut at home to former club and direct rivals for a top four finish Atletico Madrid next Sunday.
The 54-year-old brings with him over a decade of top-flight experience, most of that from two spells with Mallorca, with whom he won the King’s Cup in 2003.
Alvarez leaves after only six months at the helm.
He was promoted to replace Manolo Jimenez on a temporary basis back in March, and steered the side to a 2-0 victory over Atletico Madrid in the King’s Cup final and fourth place in the league last May.
His position was made permanent, but their surprise exit from the Champions League playoffs to Braga and their Spanish Super Cup defeat against Barcelona in August damaged his credibility.
A 1-1 draw against Racing Santander at the Sanchez Pizjuan on Thursday ended with disgruntled fans chanting for him to go, and although Sunday’s defeat was his first of the league campaign the club decided to act.
He leaves them seventh in the standings after five matches, five points adrift of leaders Valencia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!