Sevilla sack Jimenez after draw with Xerez
Madrid: Sevilla have sacked coach Manolo Jimenez after the struggling La Liga club were held to a 1-1 draw at home by basement side Xerez on Tuesday.
King’s Cup finalists Sevilla suffered a surprise Champions League exit to CSKA Moscow last week and Tuesday’s draw with promoted Xerez meant they had failed to win in seven matches in all competitions.
“The board of Sevilla FC dismissed Manolo Jimenez on Tuesday night,” the club said on their website.
Wednesday’s training session would be overseen by fitness coaches Ramon Orellana and Ignacio Oria while the board decided on a successor, they added.
The Andalusians are fifth in the standings on 45 points, one behind Real Mallorca, who occupy Spain’s fourth Champions League qualification spot and play at Racing Santander later on Wednesday.
Sevilla’s squad boasts one of the strongest attacking line-ups in Spain, including Brazilian Luis Fabiano and Frederic Kanoute of Mali.
They had hoped to be challenging for the La Liga title and make at least the last eight of the Champions League this season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!