Shakhtar sign Chelsea target Taison from Metalist
Kiev: Shakhtar Donetsk have confirmed the signing for Taison from Metalist Kharkiv for a fee of €15 million on a five-year contract.
The Brazilian midfielder`s form for his club caught the eye of a host of clubs across Europe, including Champions League holders Chelsea.
However, the Donbass Arena outfit have now pounced for the 24-year-old, activating his release clause.
"On January 10, the presidents of Shakhtar and Metalist negotiated the transfer of Taison from the Kharkiv club to the Donetsk team," a statement on the club`s official site read.
"Shakhtar paid $20m (€15m), and we got a player who really wanted to join our team. The Brazilian player`s five-year contract started on January 11."
The attacker moved to Metalist from Internacional in 2010, and made 57 league appearances for the club, scoring 13 goals.
Shakhtar have enjoyed a fantastic Ukrainian Premier League season thus far, and currently sit 13 points clear of Dnipro in the table, having won 17 of their 18 games.
They face Borussia Dortmund in the last 16 of the Champions League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing