Shaqiri out for seven weeks as Bayern injury list grows
Berlin: Bayern Munich midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri has been ruled out for up to seven weeks after tearing a thigh muscle while on duty with Switzerland last week, his club said on Tuesday.
Shaqiri was injured in his country`s 2-1 victory over Albania on Friday, a result that booked them a spot in next year`s World Cup in Brazil.
"This diagnosis is very bitter," said the 22-year-old, who also scored in that game. "I am disappointed and I will try to get back as fast as possible.
"I had a similar injury in the left thigh and I recovered pretty quickly."
Shaqiri joins a growing list of injured team mates, including long-time absentee Holger Badstuber as well as Spaniards Thiago Alcantara and Javi Martinez.
Bastian Schweinsteiger only recently returned to action after ankle surgery while Mario Goetze also came back days ago following a lengthy injury break.
Last season`s treble winners are top of the Bundesliga and have also kicked off their Champions League group stage with two wins in two games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’