Shirokov named Russian Footballer of the Year
St. Petersburg: Zenit St. Petersburg midfielder Roman Shirokov has been named Footballer of the Year for the second year in a row by Russia`s Football magazine.
Shirokov beat Zenit teammate Hulk and Dynamo Moscow`s Alexander Kokorin for the top honour, reports a leading news agency.
Over 250 journalists took part in voting for this year`s winner, with players from the Russian Premier League as well as Russian nationals playing abroad eligible for selection.
The Football magazine award dates back to 1964 and is regarded as one of the most prestigious awards in Russian football.
"Last year it was a mixture of surprise and joy," Shirokov told local media. "This year, just joy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city