Shirokov named Russian Footballer of the Year
St. Petersburg: Zenit St. Petersburg midfielder Roman Shirokov has been named Footballer of the Year for the second year in a row by Russia`s Football magazine.
Shirokov beat Zenit teammate Hulk and Dynamo Moscow`s Alexander Kokorin for the top honour, reports a leading news agency.
Over 250 journalists took part in voting for this year`s winner, with players from the Russian Premier League as well as Russian nationals playing abroad eligible for selection.
The Football magazine award dates back to 1964 and is regarded as one of the most prestigious awards in Russian football.
"Last year it was a mixture of surprise and joy," Shirokov told local media. "This year, just joy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kerala Assembly Elections: BJP president Amit Shah cancels poll visit
- Deaths in rehabilitation home: Raje govt suspends erring officials
- IPL 9: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab – Probable playing XIs; players to watch out for
- WATCH: You ripper! Unplayable magic ball leaves master batsman VVS Laxman completely exposed!
- IPL 2016, Match 30: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kolkata Knight Riders - Preview