Sikkim United, Mohammedan Sporting win in Durand Cup
New Delhi: A spirited peformance from Sikkim United and Mohammedan Sporting Club help them register victories in their respective quarterfinal league round matches of the 126th Durand Cup Football tournament, here on Thursday.
Riding on two goals from Adelaja S, Sikkim United beat Assam Regiment Centre 3-1 after coming from behind in the first encounter at the Ambedkar Stadium.
In the next game, Mohammedan Sporting too came out from an early set back to trounce Army Green 4-2.
S Adelaja (40th and 59th) and MD Lepcha (89th) scored for the Sikkim team after TS Workham Anal (19th) gave lead to the Assam side.
Playing in the Durand Cup for the first time since 2006, star-studded Mohammedan Sporting rode on twin strikes from Tolgay Ozbey (27th and 36th) and a goal each from Collin Abranches (61st) and Penn Irechukww (90th).
For Army Green, Sanaton Singh (5th) and Subrata Sarkar (52nd) found the net.
The winners of the group qualify for the semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!
- Protests over 'sacrilegious act' in Jammu, case registered