Sikkim United, Mohammedan Sporting win in Durand Cup
New Delhi: A spirited peformance from Sikkim United and Mohammedan Sporting Club help them register victories in their respective quarterfinal league round matches of the 126th Durand Cup Football tournament, here on Thursday.
Riding on two goals from Adelaja S, Sikkim United beat Assam Regiment Centre 3-1 after coming from behind in the first encounter at the Ambedkar Stadium.
In the next game, Mohammedan Sporting too came out from an early set back to trounce Army Green 4-2.
S Adelaja (40th and 59th) and MD Lepcha (89th) scored for the Sikkim team after TS Workham Anal (19th) gave lead to the Assam side.
Playing in the Durand Cup for the first time since 2006, star-studded Mohammedan Sporting rode on twin strikes from Tolgay Ozbey (27th and 36th) and a goal each from Collin Abranches (61st) and Penn Irechukww (90th).
For Army Green, Sanaton Singh (5th) and Subrata Sarkar (52nd) found the net.
The winners of the group qualify for the semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country