Sikkim United, Mohammedan Sporting win in Durand Cup
New Delhi: A spirited peformance from Sikkim United and Mohammedan Sporting Club help them register victories in their respective quarterfinal league round matches of the 126th Durand Cup Football tournament, here on Thursday.
Riding on two goals from Adelaja S, Sikkim United beat Assam Regiment Centre 3-1 after coming from behind in the first encounter at the Ambedkar Stadium.
In the next game, Mohammedan Sporting too came out from an early set back to trounce Army Green 4-2.
S Adelaja (40th and 59th) and MD Lepcha (89th) scored for the Sikkim team after TS Workham Anal (19th) gave lead to the Assam side.
Playing in the Durand Cup for the first time since 2006, star-studded Mohammedan Sporting rode on twin strikes from Tolgay Ozbey (27th and 36th) and a goal each from Collin Abranches (61st) and Penn Irechukww (90th).
For Army Green, Sanaton Singh (5th) and Subrata Sarkar (52nd) found the net.
The winners of the group qualify for the semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Tajikistan bans Russian-style surnames for children
- S&P keeps UK on triple-A rating, says expects no Brexit
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy