Simeone: We no longer fear Real Madrid
Santiago : The Argentine boss acknowledged the contributions of every one of his players as the Rojiblancos exorcised their derby demons to lift the Copa del Rey.
Diego Simeone has applauded his Atletico Madrid players for banishing their fear of arch-rivals Real Madrid in their 2-1 Copa del Rey final victory at the Santiago Bernabeu on Friday.
The Rojiblancos needed an extra-time goal from defender Miranda to end their 25-match winless run against their city neighbours and triumph in the domestic cup competition for the first time in almost two decades. And their coach was delighted with the commitment made by each and every one of his players on the night and in the wider context of their ‘incredible’ progress since his appointment in December 2011.
‘It was an incredible game. We had the luck needed to win the trophy. What these players have been doing for the past year-and-a-half is incredible,’ said Simeone.
‘They finally lost their fear and the hearts of each player combined to win the match, and it was amazing. We were fortunate because in football, teams that win have a slice of luck. We believed that we`d win the game.’
‘What brought us these achievements has been this - you see Diego Costa running 50 metres back, see Koke, [Radamel] Falcao and Gabi all sacrificing themselves for the team. I`m speechless. Now we have to think about the next game if we want to keep on developing. That`s the only way we know.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing