Singapore businessman assisting probe into football match-fixing
Singapore: Dan Tan Seet Eng, a Singaporean businessman who is reportedly the mastermind behind an international football match-fixing syndicate, is now helping authorities with investigations, local daily Straits Times quoted Singapore Police as saying Friday.
The newspaper said six to nine of Tan`s associates were called in for questioning by the authorities at different times early this week and were all released without being charged.
One of the men, Admir Sulic, however, was arrested at the Malpensa Airport in Milan, Italy, on his arrival Thursday. Sulic, a Slovenian who is accused of "criminal association aimed at sporting fraud", had bought a one-way ticket with the intention of surrendering to the authorities, Xinhua reports.
Singapore Police had a role to play in his arrest, providing information to Interpol that he was on a flight from Singapore to Italy.
The police did not reveal information such as when the 48-year-old Tan, wanted by the Italian police, started cooperating with local authorities.
In 2011, Tan was fingered by Wilson Raj Perumal, 46, a Singaporean convicted and jailed in Finland for match-fixing. Perumal is now under house arrest in Hungary.
"I want to compliment the Singapore police not just for their activity yesterday (for providing information on Sulic) but also their activity in fighting international crime, including match-fixing," said Ronald Noble, general secretary of Interpol.
The Singapore Police also said Thursday that a team of four senior officers from the police and the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau will be heading to the Interpol headquarters in Lyon, France, within the next two weeks and join the Interpol Global Anti-Match-Fixing Taskforce to assist in probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly