Sio double helps Hull KR to win over Wigan

Ken Sio`s try double inspired Hull Kingston Rovers to a first Super League win of the season as they came from 14 points down to see off Wigan Warriors 22-20.

London: Ken Sio`s try double inspired Hull Kingston Rovers to a first Super League win of the season as they came from 14 points down to see off Wigan Warriors 22-20.

The Australian went over to open the scoring for Hull KR before last year`s runners up Wigan, who were unbeaten heading into the game, responded in style.

Tries from Joe Burgess, former Parramatta Eels man Lee Mossop, Josh Charnley and Iain Thornley gave them a seemingly unassailable 20-6 lead.

But the hosts weren`t to be denied as Sio touched down for his second while Mitch Allgood and Kieran Dixon also crossed to complete the most remarkable of comebacks.

Elsewhere on Sunday, Widnes Vikings also earned a first Super League win of the young season as Lloyd White scored four tries in a 58-16 rout of Wakefield Wildcats.

The Wildcats had won both of their opening two league games but were simply outclassed from the off -- a try double from Vikings captain Kevin Brown as well as Joe Mellor`s effort and White`s first score establishing a 24-4 half-time lead.

And things simply went from bad to worse for Wakefield after the break as Patrick Ah Van notched a brace, White ran in a treble and Chris Clarkson completed their misery -- Matty Ryan and Chris Riley`s tries providing little consolation.

On Saturday, Australian playmaker Todd Carney inspired Catalans Dragons to a second straight win as they downed Warrington Wolves 38-18.

Carney was making his Super League debut and first rugby league appearance since being sacked by NRL side Cronulla Sharks in June 2014.

The stand-off showed poise and creativity as fellow Australian international Willie Tonga, Michael Oldfield and Vincent Duport scored to build an 18-0 half-time lead.

Joel Monaghan and Gary Wheeler scores reduced the Wolves` arrears after the break but Zeb Taia`s brace and Oldfield`s second meant that Joe Philbin`s maiden first-grade try was nothing more than a consolation.

Meanwhile, former St. George Illawarra Dragons half-back Rangi Chase led from the front as Salford Red Devils narrowly defeated Hull FC 32-28.

Niall Evalds`s two tries were the pick of the first-half scores as Salford led 16-14 but Setaimata Sa, who spent three years with Sydney Roosters, put Hull in front for the first time soon after the interval.

However, the versatile ex-Newcastle Knights man Junior Sa`u dotted down and Josh Griffin added two more tries to ensure that a late Hull rally was in vain.

On Friday, St Helens put their World Club Challenge thrashing behind them to maintain their perfect start in the Super League at the expense of winless Castleford Tigers.

New South Wales-born Justin Carney did cross the whitewash twice for Castleford but Josh Jones was one of four St Helens try-scorers as they came out on top 21-14.

And on Thursday night, a dramatic finale saw Paul Aiton, who has turned out for both Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks and Penrith Panthers, score a late try to hand Leeds Rhinos a 28-24 win over Huddersfield Giants.

The Giants had come back from 18-0 down to lead 24-22 before Aiton, who had never previously scored a try for Rhinos, broke Huddersfield hearts to leave them alongside St Helens with the only remaining perfect records.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link