Slick City turn on the style for Pellegrini
London: Manuel Pellegrini`s Manchester City revolution got off to the perfect start as 10-man Newcastle were crushed 4-0 at Eastlands on Monday.
Pellegrini was hired by City`s Abu Dhabi-based owners to revitalise a team that surrendered the Premier League title to Manchester United last season and the Chilean`s new players responded by delivering a stylish victory in his first match in charge.
With title rivals United and Chelsea both winning over the weekend, this was a must-win match for former Malaga boss Pellegrini, who handed starts to new signings Jesus Navas and Fernandinho.
Spanish midfielder David Silva headed the opener in the sixth minute and Argentina forward Sergio Aguero steered in the second in the 22nd minute.
Newcastle`s troubles continued when defender Steven Taylor was sent off just before half-time for catching Aguero with a forearm.
Yaya Toure`s superb 50th minute free-kick made it three and Samir Nasri came off the bench to complete the demolition with a cool finish 15 minutes from full-time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!