Slick City turn on the style for Pellegrini
London: Manuel Pellegrini`s Manchester City revolution got off to the perfect start as 10-man Newcastle were crushed 4-0 at Eastlands on Monday.
Pellegrini was hired by City`s Abu Dhabi-based owners to revitalise a team that surrendered the Premier League title to Manchester United last season and the Chilean`s new players responded by delivering a stylish victory in his first match in charge.
With title rivals United and Chelsea both winning over the weekend, this was a must-win match for former Malaga boss Pellegrini, who handed starts to new signings Jesus Navas and Fernandinho.
Spanish midfielder David Silva headed the opener in the sixth minute and Argentina forward Sergio Aguero steered in the second in the 22nd minute.
Newcastle`s troubles continued when defender Steven Taylor was sent off just before half-time for catching Aguero with a forearm.
Yaya Toure`s superb 50th minute free-kick made it three and Samir Nasri came off the bench to complete the demolition with a cool finish 15 minutes from full-time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back