Sneijder fit for Netherland`s Asia tour
Hoenderloo (The Netherlands): The Dutch national soccer team started its preparation for the trip to Indonesia and China with many players missing, but captain Wesley Sneijder was present and fit.
Sneijder last played for his Turkish club Galatasaray May 5 against Sivasspor, but was rested in the weeks after that championship match because he suffered from a groin injury.
During the first training of the training camp of the Dutch camp in Hoenderloo Wednesday, he showed his fitness. "Partly because we had already captured the championship I could focus on this trip," Sneijder said. "I am fit and ready."
Dutch coach Louis van Gaal had a limited choice for his squad because 12 regular internationals were sent to Israel to play for the Netherlands at the European under-21 Championships, while Rafael van der Vaart withdrew from the squad due to an Achilles tendon injury Wednesday.
In addition, Jonathan de Guzman, Dirk Kuyt, Robin van Persie and Champions League winner Arjen Robben were allowed to join the squad on Monday June 3, one day before the flight to Jakarta. The Netherlands will play Indonesia June 7 and China June 11 in Beijing.
Coach Louis van Gaal decided not call up a replacement for Van der Vaart and for that reason he started the first training in Hoenderloo with sixteen players.
Two-times international Siem de Jong was one of the other players, who profited from the absence of so many regular players. The 24-year-old Ajax captain was very much looking forward to show his abilities.
"For me it`s only the second time I am part of the squad this year," De Jong said.
"I am happy to be here. For me it`s a moment to prove myself. The coach indicated that he wants to see us play and especially the debutants. I will do my best, but during next season more will be clear about the squad for the World Cup in Brazil," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title