Sneijder suffers ankle injury in Japan friendly
Enschede: Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder strained ankle ligaments in Saturday`s 3-0 friendly win over Japan and is doubtful for Wednesday`s World Cup qualifier against Scotland.
Inter Milan`s Sneijder was taken to hospital for checks immediately after the game and a spokeswoman for the Dutch team said a decision had not yet been taken on whether he would rejoin the squad.
Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk had earlier expressed concern about the injury.
"Wesley told me he heard something crack so it looks serious but we have to await the outcome of the investigation in the hospital," he told reporters.
Sneijder scored his side`s second goal, between strikes from Robin van Persie and Klaas Jan Huntelaar, in a low-key win.
The Dutch have already qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and the Scotland match is their last one in Group Nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling