Sneijder suffers ankle injury in Japan friendly
Enschede: Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder strained ankle ligaments in Saturday`s 3-0 friendly win over Japan and is doubtful for Wednesday`s World Cup qualifier against Scotland.
Inter Milan`s Sneijder was taken to hospital for checks immediately after the game and a spokeswoman for the Dutch team said a decision had not yet been taken on whether he would rejoin the squad.
Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk had earlier expressed concern about the injury.
"Wesley told me he heard something crack so it looks serious but we have to await the outcome of the investigation in the hospital," he told reporters.
Sneijder scored his side`s second goal, between strikes from Robin van Persie and Klaas Jan Huntelaar, in a low-key win.
The Dutch have already qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and the Scotland match is their last one in Group Nine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad