Sneijder undisputed captain of Holland: Kuyt
Dirk Kuyt has insisted Wesley Sneijder remains Netherlands` undisputed skipper following the attacking midfielder`s return to the Oranje squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Estonia and Romania.
Sneijder has not featured for Holland since the 4-1 win over Hungary on September 11 last year, with Kuyt and Kevin Strootman wearing the captain`s armband during his absence.
Nevertheless, the Fenerbahce attacker has made it clear there is no doubt about Sneijder`s position as first-choice skipper.
"Sneijder is our undisputed captain. I`m deputy skipper and Kevin Strootman is the third man in line," Kuyt said.
"Wesley has not been part of the team for a while, but he`s back again now. Everybody can expect Wes [Sneijder] to be wearing the armband in the months to come. The captain always plays, unless he`s injured.
"He`s a great player and personifies Dutch football. It`s a shame that his time at Inter came to such an end, but he continues to be a fantastic player.
"We don`t even have to discuss his football qualities. He`s very valuable for the team both on and off the pitch.
"He`s a real leader with a lot of experience, and has played at several major tournaments. He leads younger players the way and is very committed."
Sneijder has made 90 international appearances so far for Oranje, scoring 24 goals in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'