Soccer star Diarra denies joining Syria war
Paris: French international Lassana Diarra on Tuesday denied rumours on social media websites that he had become a jihadist in the Syria war.
The Lokomotiv Moscow midfielder "denies in the most formal, the most categoric, the most absolute fashion that he has gone to Syria," said Diarra`s French lawyer Eric Dupond Moretti. "He has never set foot in Syria.
"It`s absurd. He is not a jihadist, he is a footballer with Lokomotiv Moscow," the lawyer added.
The British tabloid Daily Mirror this week reported social media rumours that Diarra had gone to Syria where the war is now into a fourth year and has cost the lives of over 150,000 people, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The lawyer said Diarra, 29, who has also played for Real Madrid, Chelsea and Arsenal, expected to take part in Lokomotiv`s league game on Sunday. Diarra -- who was a member of the Real squad that won the Spanish league title in 2012 -- last played for France in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord