Socceroo Thompson makes light of Neymar `overrated` barb
Sydney: Australia`s Archie Thompson has made light of his comment that Brazilian Neymar, who recently moved to Barcelona for $74 million, was overrated, putting the remark down to jetlag or mistranslation.
The Socceroos take on the 2014 World Cup hosts in a friendly in Brasilia on Saturday and Thompson livened up pre-match exchanges by saying he thought Neymar was overrated and his team mate Oscar was a better player.
Forward Neymar responded to the Melbourne Victory striker in a news conference with the withering question: "What`s his name?", according to Brazilian media reports.
"It was the jetlag or the Brazilian reporter didn`t understand my Portuguese," New Zealand-born Thompson quipped in a Tweet from Brasilia on Thursday.
Thompson has scored 28 goals in 53 internationals, a tally inflated by the world record 13 he scored when Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in World Cup qualifying in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents