Socceroo Thompson makes light of Neymar `overrated` barb
Sydney: Australia`s Archie Thompson has made light of his comment that Brazilian Neymar, who recently moved to Barcelona for $74 million, was overrated, putting the remark down to jetlag or mistranslation.
The Socceroos take on the 2014 World Cup hosts in a friendly in Brasilia on Saturday and Thompson livened up pre-match exchanges by saying he thought Neymar was overrated and his team mate Oscar was a better player.
Forward Neymar responded to the Melbourne Victory striker in a news conference with the withering question: "What`s his name?", according to Brazilian media reports.
"It was the jetlag or the Brazilian reporter didn`t understand my Portuguese," New Zealand-born Thompson quipped in a Tweet from Brasilia on Thursday.
Thompson has scored 28 goals in 53 internationals, a tally inflated by the world record 13 he scored when Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in World Cup qualifying in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Will free jailed Pakistan doctor who tracked Osama bin Laden: Donald Trump
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures