Socceroo Thompson makes light of Neymar `overrated` barb
Sydney: Australia`s Archie Thompson has made light of his comment that Brazilian Neymar, who recently moved to Barcelona for $74 million, was overrated, putting the remark down to jetlag or mistranslation.
The Socceroos take on the 2014 World Cup hosts in a friendly in Brasilia on Saturday and Thompson livened up pre-match exchanges by saying he thought Neymar was overrated and his team mate Oscar was a better player.
Forward Neymar responded to the Melbourne Victory striker in a news conference with the withering question: "What`s his name?", according to Brazilian media reports.
"It was the jetlag or the Brazilian reporter didn`t understand my Portuguese," New Zealand-born Thompson quipped in a Tweet from Brasilia on Thursday.
Thompson has scored 28 goals in 53 internationals, a tally inflated by the world record 13 he scored when Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in World Cup qualifying in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai