Socrates` son appointed Sao Paulo manager
Rio de Janeiro: Sao Paulo have appointed Brazil football legend Socrates` son as their new manager.
Gustavo Vieira de Oliveira, 35, would replace Adalberto Baptista, who resigned from the role last week, Sao Paulo said in a statement on Monday.
The announcement came as the six-time Campeonato Brasileiro winners languished in the top-flight`s relegation zone with just nine points from 11 matches.
A solicitor specialising in sports law, Oliveira is one of six children left behind by Socrates, who died from an intestinal infection in 2011, aged 57.
Socrates, a qualified doctor, played in the 1982 and 1986 World Cup and is considered one of the greatest players in Brazil`s history.
In 2004, he was named by Pele as one of the top 125 living footballers and he is a member of the Pacaembu Brazilian football museum`s hall of fame.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Notice issued to Priyanka Gandhi Vadra over her land deal in Shimla
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer
- CAD to widen to $25 billion in FY17 on surge in gold imports, sluggish exports: Report
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch