Soft penalty sets England up for Slovenia win
London: A Frank Lampard penalty and a well-taken goal from in-form Jermain Defoe gave England a laboured 2-1 friendly win over Slovenia on Saturday in a warm-up for the home team`s midweek World Cup qualifier against Croatia.
Slovenia, who replied with a header by substitute Zlatan Ljubijankic five minutes from time, face Poland in an important qualifier on Wednesday.
The visitors played some neat attractive football especially in the opening 30 minutes, but never looked like winning the first meeting between the two countries.
England took the lead when Swedish referee Jonas Eriksson appeared to totally misjudge a mild clash between Bostjan Cesar and Rooney after 31 minutes.
If anything, Rooney fouled Cesar, who lent across the striker with his arm out-stretched but made no contact. Rooney tripped over him and fell and did not appeal for the penalty.
To compound what appeared to be an error, Cesar was booked and then limped off injured and could miss Wednesday`s Group Three game against the Poles.
Slovenia though, could have been ahead by that stage as they started brighter, looked well organised at the back and played some attractive quick-passing football on the break.
Milivoje Novakovic had a good chance after seven minutes when he rounded goalkeeper Robert Green but then shot just over the bar after being forced wide.
England eventually took control after Rooney`s goal and twice went close when John Terry sent a header against the bar from a Steven Gerrard corner and Rooney hit a post from two metres out after another set-piece.
They deserved to double their lead after 63 minutes when Aaron Lennon, who replaced the largely ineffective Shaun Wright-Phillips at halftime, found his Tottenham Hotspur team mate and fellow sub Defoe with a neat pass for the striker to score with a sharp shot from the edge of the box.
Defoe, who also scored both goals in a 2-2 draw with Netherlands last month, has scored seven for club and country in a superb start to the season.
The last third of the match was played out at little more than walking pace before Ljubijankic gave the visitors a deserved consolation with his well-taken header.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened