Soldado unsure of Spain spot, despite goal
Recife (Brazil): Striker Roberto Soldado admits he is unsure if he will start in Spain`s next match against Tahiti, despite scoring in La Roja`s 2-1 defeat of Uruguay in their Confederations Cup opener.
The Valencia front man, on Sunday night, was a surprise inclusion at Arena Pernambuco by Coach Vicente Del Bosque, who preferred the 28-year-old to Fernando Torres and David Villa, reports Xinhua.
After the match he praised the team`s ability to maintain its trademark passing game, despite constant pressure from La Celeste defense.
"The philosophy of the team wasn`t lost even against a team of Uruguay`s quality", Soldado said. "We maintained possession and had our usual movement which created goal scoring chances. I don`t know if I`m going to start in the next match. That`s a decision for the coach to make."
Soldado coolly slotted Spain`s opening goal against the 2011 Copa America winners after a perfectly weighted pass from Cesc Fabregas.
He admitted his side endured a nervous end to the match after Luis Suarez scored from a free-kick in the 88th minute.
"We are happy because we`ve beaten a difficult opponent. But we can`t afford to relax at the end when we are leading 2-0. They scored in the last few minutes and put themselves back in the match."
Spain will now travel to Rio de Janeiro ahead of Thursday`s match against Oceania champions Tahiti at the Maracana stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Facebook India makes removal of offensive content a hard task
- Hundreds of protesters storm Baghdad’s Green Zone, break into Parliament
- Uttarakhand forest fire LIVE: 1500 villages under threat, govt issues alert
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3billion India IPO
- China hints at retaliation against US anti-dumping probe