South Korea see off nine-man Costa Rica
Los Angeles: Kim Shin-Wook scored the only goal as South Korea battled past nine-man Costa Rica 1-0 Saturday in a friendly in Los Angeles ahead of the World Cup.
Midfielder Kim`s ninth-minute strike proved to be enough in a tempestuous match that saw Costa Rica have Christopher Meneses sent off for a straight red in the 68th minute and Mauricio Castillo given his marching orders after receiving a second yellow in the 84th.
The narrow victory gave South Korea a good start to their three-match North American tour, which will include a clash with Mexico on Wednesday in San Antonio, Texas, and a friendly against the United States in Los Angeles on February 1.
South Korea play in Group H versus Belgium, Algeria and Russia in the World Cup finals in Brazil later this year.
Costa Rica are in Group D along with Uruguay, England and Italy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says