Spain are the best team in the world today: Pele
Pele has labelled Spain as the best team in the world today, although he is not sure if the all-conquering side will retain the World Cup in 2014.
The Brazil great says that he has monitored Vicente del Bosque`s side ever since its rise to prominence ahead of Euro 2008.
And though Spain are able to boast a host of individual talent at their disposal, Pele believes it is their team ethic that has been key to their success.
“I admire them because I have followed the national team since four or five years ago,” Pele said. “All of those years, they have played very good. They have a nice team. It`s not only individual players.”
Whether those same figures can become the first European nation to lift the World Cup on South American soil, however, is a different matter altogether.
But, whatever the outcome, Pele is convinced they will be among the strongest contenders at the tournament.
“No doubt, they`ll be one of the best teams in Brazil,” he said. “No doubt. If they don`t have injuries, today, they are the most organised team in the world.”
The 71-year-old also spoke about his nation`s chances, stressing his belief that Brazil must form a cohesive team in order to do well.
“Sometimes, you have excellent players, but you do not have a team,” Pele said. “I think what Brazil needs is a team. We`ve played several games. More or less, we`ve played good and then we`ve played bad.”
To rectify their problems, Menezes and the Brazilian team should look back to how the dominant 1970 side managed to secure the title in Mexico, according to the former Santos icon.
“They made a team first,” he added.
“That was the most important thing in 1970. Today, Brazil has had a group [under Menezes] for almost one year and a half, two years, but he still doesn`t have a team.
"This, I think, will be something they should change going into the World Cup. I think we need to get the right team.
“Brazil has excellent players, no doubt and some of the best players all over the world are Brazilian. But, as a team, we are not organised yet.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?