Spain coach Del Bosque to step down after 2014 World Cup
Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque confirmed on Friday that his incredibly successful reign as leader of his country`s national side will conclude at the end of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Former Real Madrid coach, Del Bosque is one of the most successful coaches in history, leading Spain to their first ever World Cup in 2010 and then masterminding the defence of the European Championship in 2012, making Spain the first country to ever win a European Championship (2008), then win the World Cup and then defend its European crown.
His 70 games in charge after replacing Luis Aragones, have yielded 58 victories, while Spain`s passing game is admired all over the world.
However, all good things must come to an end and the 62-year-old announced that he will step down after the next World Cup in Brazil.
"My last responsibility as Spain coach will be the World Cup in Brazil," he confirmed, although he confessed that could not be the end of his role in football.
"Maybe afterwards I will continue with a link to the Spanish Federation, carrying out a role as a representative," he said.
Del Bosque was asked about the 4-0 and 4-1 defeats suffered by FC Barcelona and Real Madrid in their Champions League semi-finals against Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, but denied they meant an end to Spanish hegemony and a rise of German power.
"They added their traditional power to possession football and that it what we saw in Bayern and Borussia," said Del Bosque, who admitted that the Germany would be "a good candidate to win the next World Cup".
Del Bosque also discussed Brazil, who will be the 2014 hosts, as well as the hosts of the 2013 Confederations Cup, which Spain will play as European Champions. He said it was hard to draw conclusions about Brazil` s potential given that they had only played friendly matches over the last year rather than qualification games.
Del Bosque, who will name the Spain squad for the Confederations Cup May 27, said he had long admired the Brazilian style of football, adding that as hosts they would be the favourites for the World Cup crown.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended