Spain Euro 2008-winning coach Luis Aragones, dies aged 75
Madrid: Luis Aragones, the coach of Spain`s 2008 European Championship-winning side, died today at the age of 75, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced.
"The RFEF is sorry to announce the death of Luis Aragones," read a statement on their website.
"The RFEF wants to express its pain and consternation at the death of a man who was a player and coach at a number of Spanish clubs and around the world, and the Spanish national team coach at the beginning of its most glorious era of success at international level."
As well as the Spanish national side, Aragones managed 10 different clubs during a 35-year coaching career.
He is most fondly remembered at Atletico Madrid, with whom he won La Liga in 1976/77 and three Copa del Rey titles across three spells in charge.
"Luis Aragones was a great player and coach, but more than that a great person and friend," said the Atletico president Enrique Cerezo in a statement on the club`s website. "He was an Atletico man above all else. I want to express on behalf of all those at the club our condolences to the family."
His crowning glory came on the international stage, though, in Austria and Switzerland in 2008 when he guided the until-then perennially underachieving Spanish national side to their first major tournament victory since 1964.
Despite emerging victorious over Germany in the final in Vienna, Aragones stood by his pre-tournament decision to step down as Vicente del Bosque took over to guide Spain to their first World Cup in 2010 before retaining their European title two years later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog