Spain Euro 2008-winning coach Luis Aragones, dies aged 75
Madrid: Luis Aragones, the coach of Spain`s 2008 European Championship-winning side, died today at the age of 75, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced.
"The RFEF is sorry to announce the death of Luis Aragones," read a statement on their website.
"The RFEF wants to express its pain and consternation at the death of a man who was a player and coach at a number of Spanish clubs and around the world, and the Spanish national team coach at the beginning of its most glorious era of success at international level."
As well as the Spanish national side, Aragones managed 10 different clubs during a 35-year coaching career.
He is most fondly remembered at Atletico Madrid, with whom he won La Liga in 1976/77 and three Copa del Rey titles across three spells in charge.
"Luis Aragones was a great player and coach, but more than that a great person and friend," said the Atletico president Enrique Cerezo in a statement on the club`s website. "He was an Atletico man above all else. I want to express on behalf of all those at the club our condolences to the family."
His crowning glory came on the international stage, though, in Austria and Switzerland in 2008 when he guided the until-then perennially underachieving Spanish national side to their first major tournament victory since 1964.
Despite emerging victorious over Germany in the final in Vienna, Aragones stood by his pre-tournament decision to step down as Vicente del Bosque took over to guide Spain to their first World Cup in 2010 before retaining their European title two years later.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?