Spain will fight to bitter end for Vicente Del Bosque: Sergio Ramos
Spain`s dethroned world champions will give their all for coach Vicente del Bosque despite the fiasco of their title defence at the World Cup said veteran defender Sergio Ramos on Wednesday.
Paris: Spain`s dethroned world champions will give their all for coach Vicente del Bosque despite the fiasco of their title defence at the World Cup said veteran defender Sergio Ramos on Wednesday.
"The manager has decided to stay on, we will fight to the bitter end for him because he`s our boss," said 28-year-old Ramos, who has won 120 caps for his country.
The Real Madrid star was speaking on the eve of Spain`s Euro 2016 qualifier warm-up friendly against France at the Stade de France.
He added: "There`s been a general change, some players have decided not to return, and we have to respect him (del Bosque) after so many years with the national team."
Ramos was alluding to the international retirements of Xavi and Xabi Alonso after Spain`s humbling first round elimination in Brazil.
The midfielders were two of the key architects of Spain`s golden era when they claimed the European championships in 2008, when they were coached by the late Luis Aragones, and 2012 and the 2010 World Cup.
On Spain`s post 2014 World Cup plight Ramos said: "In football you can`t live in the past. We have to forget the good and the bad times.
"We didn`t have a good experience in Brazil, but now we have a new squad, we are looking to the future with a lot of hunger and hope of recording the results that we`ve had in the past.
"It`s a fresh cycle, with lots of new players who are all intent on getting a good start.
"Even if this game is a friendly, we have to treat it as a competitive game, and pass on this hunger and ambition to the new players."
Del Bosque, who guided Spain to their World Cup and Euro 2012 triumphs, has called up eight players that were not involved in the Brazil debacle.
"We are setting out on a new stage," said del Bosque.
"Before, we had to handle success, that wasn`t easy, now we have to handle failure, or at least a time when we didn`t achieve our aims," he added.
Spain take their first step to reaching the Euro 2016 finals against Macedonia in Valencia on Monday.
"We`re a little bit in the dark returning to competition, and against such a great rival as France tomorrow we have to give a good account of ourselves."
Del Bosque suggested that given their differing fortunes at the World Cup, the home side were in contrast to their recent meetings, favourites on Wednesday.
"France had a good World Cup, losing to Germany who weren`t the better side, far from it, in the quarter-finals," said 63-year-old del Bosque.
"Spain were knocked out in the first round. So yes, the roles have been reversed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!