Spanish club Levante accused of match-fixing
Valencia: Levante UD have been accused of match-fixing in their 4-0 home defeat to Deportivo La Coruna on April 13.
The loss back in April gave Depor`s survival hopes a boost by playing a part in lifting them out of the relegation zone, as they now sit one point above the drop.
The Spanish club are under investigation for the alleged offence and have agreed to co-operate in full with any inquisition and have pleaded for the club to stick together after releasing the following statement.
"Following recent reports in the media about alleged irregularities in the league match of round 31, Levante-Deportivo La Coruna, the board of directors has decided the club will make itself available to all institutions that will be looking into these reports (Liga de Futbol Profesional and Asociacion de Futbolistas Espanoles) and also to the Real Federacion Espanola de Futbol and, of course, the ordinary courts, to help and assist in the collaboration with any investigation that is occurring.
"Levante UD is an institution that ensures fair play and is fighting for full transparency in the competition. The board believes in the professionalism and integrity of all the players of the first team, who have been involved in major sporting achievements of our history.
"The club appeals to its fans and all levantinismo to stick together, support the team and the organisation to strengthen its image and, above all, achieve the objective of staying in the Primera Division.
"The board of directors, in seeing out its responsibility, will take every appropriate action to defend the prestige of Levante UD."
Levante finished sixth in La Liga last season and currently sit in 13th place in the division. They take on Mallora on May 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says